Naval Support Activity Panama City has origins in the mine countermeasures research conducted during World War II at the U.S. Naval Mine Warfare Test Station, Solomons, MD. In July 1945, the station was moved from Maryland to Florida, to occupy a 373-acre tract along St. Andrew Bay.
Over the ensuing decades the base footprint grew to its current size of more than 650 acres and underwent a myriad of name changes until it reorganized under Commander, Navy Installations Command in October 2003. The base was renamed Naval Support Activity Panama City reporting to the Commander, Navy Region Southeast, but the mission remains rooted in research and development; testing and evaluation; and Navy diving.
The primary mission of NSA Panama City is to provide, operate and maintain facilities; provide defense and physical security of critical infrastructure; provide operational support to the Fleet, Fighter and Family and supported commands.
Major tenants include Naval Surface Warfare Center-Panama City Division, Naval Diving and Salvage Training Center, Navy Experimental Diving Unit and U.S. Coast Guard Station Panama City. Together, NSA PC employs more than 4,000 civilian and military personnel with an annual payroll of more than $466 million. Additionally, the base contracts for local goods and services, which amounts to more than $600 million annually in economic impact.
Throughout its existence, NSA Panama City has continued to evolve to meet the demanding requirements of the U.S. Navy – to defend today and to plan for tomorrow in response to national needs.